- 21 Mar
As it’s stated in our welcome post, the main goal of this blog is to share with the world our technical knowledge and present our (Tech) Team.
About Travelgrove, Inc.
Travelgrove, Inc. has been founded back in 2004, by Peter Suhayda (current CEO) and Stefan Serduelt (current CFO) with the sole purpose of providing a simple way to weed through all the travel offers and information out there.
We are committed to provide the best possible service to our users, and more importantly the best possible prices on the market. We might not have the fanciest user interface, and the feel&look (a.k.a. design) of our pages is simply the result of many hours of brainstorming, nail-biting and photoshopping, and not the result of a $10K+ contract with a designer company… our “genius” programmers make boo-boos from time to time too (just like the guys from Kayak)… yet we have something valuable for our users: our prices.
Beside the biggest providers of the market, we work with aggregators and negotiators that one can barely find inside common travel meta searches, and this duality makes our prices very competitive.We are open towards our advertisers too, offering them several advertising possibilities, including (but not limited to) travel search, travel deals, Newsletter and Travel Themes, each available with multi-level, complex targeting.
About our Tech Team
The team has been growing together with the company. As years passed, many employees became partners starting their own successful companies based on the knowledge they gained with us - companies that Travelgrove proudly sponsored.
Also most of them is based in the same building as our main tech office, so usually it feels like a unique mixture of a Greek family reunion and a white-collar business center.
Technologies we use
- PostGre SQL / MySQL as a solid database
- Apache Web Server with modules
- Perl / CGI / FastScript for our travel meta search engines architecture
- SOAP/REST/XML for the data transfer between our partners and Travelgrove
- PHP as the presentation level, with the powerful Smarty Template Engine
- (D/X)HTML, CSS(1-2-3), jQuery and Prototype for the dynamic functionality
- Our own-developed PHP-based framework for most of our pages
- Other frameworks for different sections (CodeIgniter, WordPress, Drupal, Joomla)
- and many others not coming into my mind at this moment